Contact Us for a Free Consultation 918-747-5300

HWH Blog

What is a Corporate Advance?

Posted by David Humphreys | Mar 06, 2018 | 2 Comments

You should have a healthy dose of skepticism and concern if your monthly mortgage statement includes a line item charge for a “Corporate Advance.” While the phrase sounds innocent enough, it is not.  What you do not realize is that this phrase “Corporate Advances” may cost you your home.

What does that phrase even mean? Corporate Advances are “disbursement for servicing-related expenses (not escrow expenses) paid with servicer funds rather than escrow funds, to be recovered from the borrower. They could include foreclosure expenses, attorney fees, bankruptcy fees, force placed insurance, and so forth” according to the National Consumer Law Center. The Federal Trade Commission warns “it's important to review your billing statements carefully and question added fees. If fees appear on your statement under general headings like “other fees” or “corporate advances,” contact your servicer – in writing – as soon as possible to get an explanation of those fees and a reason they've been charged to your account.”

From our experience representing consumer law clients facing foreclosure, “corporate advances” can be a black box where your lender or mortgage loan servicer hides unwarranted, unlawful or other fees you do not owe. Regular borrower monthly payments can then be removed from your account and applied to pay off these unwarranted charges. This misapplication of your monthly payments from your account toward these phony expenses could leave you months past due, allowing the mortgage servicer to claim (falsely) that you are in default. Before you know it, more foreclosure related fees are piled onto your account and you can't get current on your home loan.

If you see “Corporate Advances” on your mortgage statement and you fear or are facing a foreclosure, you should contact Humphreys Wallace Humphreys today. You can contact us by clicking Free Case Review or by clicking on the contact us page on our website.

About the Author

David Humphreys

David Humphreys has been practicing law since 1987. He was a member of the first class (1994) of the Gerry Spence Trial Lawyers College, Dubois, Wyoming. He was recognized in 2004 by the college, along with his partner, Luke Wallace, as the Warriors of the Year for the 18-state South Central regi...


raymond pugh Reply

Posted Mar 19, 2020 at 15:03:46

Carrington mortgage has listed such fee.We are not even late.

David Humphreys Reply

Posted Mar 20, 2020 at 07:33:45

Raymond, thanks for your input. We are always disappointed when predatory fees are added and when payment is bullied by threats of foreclosure.
Feel free to contact us to discuss if you are interested.
Thanks again for your comment.

Leave a Comment